Thursday, August 7, 2008

Chargers already getting good breaks




Sometimes, things start happening beyond a team’s control that makes you think it may be their season to remember.

Take the Chargers, for instance.

Even before Saturday night’s preseason opener at home vs. the Dallas Cowboys, the Chargers already have received good news for their first two regular season games:

Steve Smith, Carolina’s top receiver, will miss the Sept. 7 season opener at San Diego for attacking teammate Ken Lucas in practice.

Brandon Marshall, Denver’s best pass catcher, will miss the Broncos’ home opener Sept. 14 vs. the Chargers as the result of a suspension.

What does this mean for the Chargers? They will not have to face:

▄ Smith, who had 87 receptions for 1,002 yards in 2007.

▄ Marshall, who caught 102 passes for 1,325 yards last year.

Two opening games; two games where the opposition is without its top receiver.

Not a bad way to start 2008 for the Chargers.

2 comments:

sam said...

Yo, baby! It's all going the Chargers way so far!

kareem said...

It sure sounds like the Chargers are getting a couple of good breaks in their first two games with the top pass catcher down for Carolina and Denver. Hopefully, that will help the Chargers get off to a 2-0 start. I am soooo ready for some football. Go Chargers.